Sunday, January 15, 2017

Volcanoes and stress

When I don't deal with stress my natural tendency is to act like a volcano. The pressure builds and builds and builds as I grin and bear it until I hit maximum capacity and I explode into a giant mess only to have the cycle start all over again. Obviously being a volcano is dangerous and unhealthy so it is important to find ways to blow off a little steam (de-stress), set up protective measures (avoid stressful triggers), and learn the signs of an impending explosion (identify triggers). Here are some of the things I have learned to do to avoid allowing my life to become Pompeii.

Signs of an impending explosion (A.K.A. Things that stress me out):

-Clutter. This is a huge one for me. For me, having a cluttered, messy house makes for a cluttered messy mind. I've found that my mood can improve tenfold if I just take a few minutes to clean house.

-Change. Truth be told, I act like an 80 year old woman. I have Werther's in my purse, I hate kids running through my yard, I love to play BINGO, and I hate change. I need routine to stay sane and so do my kids.

-Unbalanced "me" time "us" time and "family" time. I'm an ambivert (middle ground between introvert and extrovert) so having alone time is equally as important to me as having time with my family. Being a stay-at-home mom, time with my kiddos is obviously easy to come by but alone time and time with just Jake isn't quite as easy.

Setting up protective measures (A.K.A. changing or avoiding stressful triggers)

-One of the most helpful lifestyle changes I have recently made has been getting up before the kids so I can take a shower and get ready for our day before having to take care of them. This has allowed me to use Ryker's morning nap as a time to get all or at least most of my daily cleaning done instead of using it to shower. Even better, because I use that time to clean I'm able to relax in a clean, clutter-free home during the kids overlapping afternoon nap.

-Having a routine is good. It is helpful for both my kids and I to know what comes next during our day. However sometimes unexpected things happen and you just have to roll with the punches. I've found that it's so much easier to give up control and allow for change when I am consistently in the Word and putting my trust in God. This year, I'm going through a study on the Promises of God. It's been great to see things that God promises no matter what in my life changes.

-Jake and I are fortunate to have some of our best friends living across the street who also have a little one Ryker's age. A few months ago we set up a date night swap with them so on a weekly basis we take turns babysitting for each other so the other couple can go out on a date. This kills two birds with one stone, one week we get to go out on a date and have "us" time, and the next week one of us gets to go over to watch a sleeping baby (A.K.A. watch netflix) and have some alone time.

Blowing off steam (A.K.A. Ways I relax)

-Yoga. I have recently learned to love Yoga. I'm personally a huge fan of Yoga with Adrienne on youtube. I have also been attending Holy Yoga at Bethany Lutheran church on Saturday mornings with a friend. This has been an awesome opportunity to relax with yoga, have some "me" time, and learn more about God.

-Spending time with friends. I have some of the best friends and it is always so refreshing to spend time with them. Whether it's grabbing a coffee, running errands, baking cookies, or just chatting. It's nice to have a place where we can just be adults and cry, laugh, and talk with each other.

-Blogging. I've been busy lately so I haven't a whole lot of time to spend doing so, but I love writing on the blog. It's fun to write about things that are going on and I feel productive when I'm able to give advice that may help somebody. Add a warm cup of hot chocolate or tea and a sweet treat and blogging becomes even more relaxing.

-Massages. Massages are expensive so I don't treat myself to them often, but my goodness, they do wonders for my mental health! I've been to a couple of massage places in town and my favorite by far is Hands in Harmony. The atmosphere and skill is phenomenal and I've never had a masseuse try to make small talk during a massage there (bit of a pet peeve).

-Shopping. Another thing I try not to do often because it can become expensive fast, but I love to shop. It's so exciting to find a great deal and to get a cute new outfit. Plus just getting out of the house can be quite the mood booster.

What do you like to do to relax and de-stress? Do you have any good "life hacks" to avoid stress?









No comments:

Post a Comment