Saturday, December 6, 2014

Needles and nesting

28 weeks was brought in by my least favorite OB appointment so far. As much as I dislike doctors, I generally look forward to my appointments. I love my doctor, Dr. Driscoll, and as a task oriented person, each appointment is like one checkpoint closer to our due date. This appointment, however, included the glucose test (testing for gestational diabetes) and receiving the TDaP (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) vaccine. The glucose test consists of drinking an extremely sugary drink, fasting for an hour, and then getting your blood taken. I had heard terrible reviews of this drink so I was really dreading it, however I didn't think it was as horrible as others have said. Don't get me wrong, it definitely wasn't pleasant, and it made me feel a bit nauseous, but it was manageable. I chose the lemon-lime flavor (the other option was orange) and thought it tasted similar to yellow Gatorade, except ten times more sugary. After finishing the drink, I then had my usual appointment. I knew there were going to be a lot of needles at this appointment so I had Jake come with me, I'm so glad I did because he was finally able to hear Ilyana's heartbeat! Everything is looking and measuring perfectly. At the end of my appointment came the shot, I really hate shots, but Jake held my hand and I got through it (it's definitely sore today though!). Next we went back down to the lab and they took my blood. With my blood work they were testing for two things, gestational diabetes (which was negative, praise God!) and anemia, which is really common at this point in pregnancy. I was slightly anemic (normal iron levels are between 12-15 and mine were at 11.2), but since I was so close to normal I won't need to do anything extra besides trying to incorporate more foods in my diet that are high in iron. I now get to start having appointments every 2 weeks until I'm 36 weeks, at which point I'll have appointments every week until Ilyana is born. We're getting closer!
This week I've started nesting. Our house has been getting super clean, organized, and ready for baby. But hopefully she'll wait just a couple more months before making her grand entrance! I called Jake at work the other day to ask him a question and he apparently was concerned that I was calling to tell him I was in labor! Don't worry Jake, she's still in there kicking away!

Information about Ilyana:
EDD: Feb. 27 (83 days)

How mom's doing: Good! I only had to get up to pee twice last night! Haha!

How dad's doing: Ready for this semester of school to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment